Sunday 25 March 2012

As Time Goes By



A large bag (18" x 18" or 46 x 46cm approx) using scraps of black, white and touch of red.  Then handles were part of a large amount of craft materials left by my mother-in-law.

"Blues Bag" - one of my original designs about 15" x 15" (approx 38 x 38cm) excluding handle.

I finished this especially for my lovely aunty's visit.  A Kiwi pattern depicting ferns and made of batiks.

A special order from a friend for her daughter - butterflies and an orangey colour were her requests and this was the result.  She loved it and assured me her daughter would too.  I do hope so.

I have been reliably informed by my lovely Aunty Shirley that it is a while since I blogged.  She is so right.  It is ages and what excuses do I offer.  None really - I could say I didn't know what to write about but thoughts have gone through my mind at different times.  I just haven't knuckled down to put them down.

Well here I am now.  Queensland State Elections are finally over, thank goodness.  Can't say I am entirely happy about the result but we will see what happens over the next three years.

I mentioned Aunty Shirley above and I must say how lovely it was to have her stay with us for a few days.  Our highlight was a visit to the Brisbane Craft & Sewing show on Saturday.  WH (wonderful husband) dropped us off and he wandered around the shops in Brisbane city before patiently waiting at a coffee shop for us to finish our browsing and buying.  Aunty is in to crafts and it was great to be able to share tips and ideas with her.  A few days isn't long enough though. 

Talking about aunties.  Your mother can be your best friend and confidant, greatest supporter and encourager (and mine is - always very proud of her children's achievements, loving and generous) but aunties are so special, especially if they are your mother's sisters.  My Mum's three sisters are gorgeous - loving, hilarious sometimes, interested and interesting and, above all, my family.  I just love them to pieces and love being with them.  They, and Mum, are all very close and enjoy getting together when they can.

We really should appreciate our family more, talk to them about their lives, really listen to how they are, how they reached where they are now.  My aunties have all families of their own - cousins I don't see very often but love to when I can - and it is the aunties (and uncles) who are the glue that joins the different parts of our family together.  Some of my aunties and uncles have passed on but I know they remain in the hearts of their brothers and sisters and children.  That is life I suppose.  It is sad but our lives are shaped by them and we must appreciate the heritage of love that they leave.

On a different note, I am currently on jury duty.  I have actually been called to attend court three times in two weeks and made it to the actual courtroom once but my number wasn't picked to sit on a jury.  My first time on jury duty so an experience to add to my book of life.  One of the most serious civil duties a person could possibly be called to do and although a bit scarey knowing that you have to make a decision about someone's future, an interesting duty.

An added note but very important.  As Time Goes By doesn't only refer to the fact that I haven't blogged for a while but also that on Friday, my eldest grandson and his partner, presented me with my first great grandchild, a little girl, Nirvana.  As much as she will be loved, it sure make me feel old but in other ways I don't.  As my sister said to me once, how did we get to be this old?  We just have to look at it, not in terms of numbers or years, but in terms of experience and experiences.  We have loved, and lost, and loved again in so many different ways.  Love, I think, is the most enduring human quality we can have and I hope that wee Nirvana is deeply loved and loves deeply as she too grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment