Sunday 5 February 2012

Another Beautiful Day


A cute cushion for kids with machine embroidered dragons - not scary ones though.

This cushion and those below incorporate small crosstitch panels.







I feel quite invigorated and very good.  Just been for a walk and tea at a local coffee shop with my American friend.  This is all very tame for her - she has walked the Kokoda Trail, trekked in Nepal, hiked through
Spain, run marathons in Ireland - but it was nice to have a companion and be able to walk along a trail that isn't the road.  WH (wonderful husband and I) also went walking on Saturday but meeting traffic on our road and the side road we took and battling the flies wasn't ideal.  It was nice to get out walking together though on a fine day.

We have had a lovely weekend weather wise, after several weeks of rain, and managed to get the whole property mown, trees cut and gardens tidied plus I have been painting a hutch dresser.  It is in two parts so easier to manage.  I have had the dresser for some years and was stained a light colour.  But to match a table I bought and painted some months ago I sanded it back and am painting it white with blue inside the glassed door cupboards.  As most of my family and friends know, I am an avid fan of blue and white in decorating.  The blue is gloss paint left over from our ensuite and the outside is white prep paint left over from house renovations last year.  When I have finished I will distress it a bit then seal it for easier cleaning.  I am really liking the look of the blue inside the cupboards and looking forward to finishing it.

Last Wednesday I started a 10 week cookery class at Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food along with my stepdaughter, Renee, and her stepdaughter.  Great fun and even though it was quite basic - last week's first class was all about eggs - I did learn things I didn't know.  This week we are making Pumpkin and Rosemary soup - a majority vote (the other choice was Leek and Potato which would have been good too).

To cap a virtuous period I have also bought some Christmas presents for this year.  How about that?  I don't think I have ever started Christmas buying so early in the year although I know a lot of people buy up big at the Boxing Day sales. 

On the craft side I have vowed that this year I will use up as much of my stash and scraps as possible and only buy fabric when absolutely necessary to finish off a project or for use in a special project for myself, family, friends or customers.  I have been very good so far and have a few projects on the go from my basket of scraps.

Above are pics of some cushions incorporating small crosstitch panels I made when in Europe in 2009.  I always like to have some hand sewing to do when travelling.  I had put them away in a safe place on our return and promptly forgot about them but recently, after WH had installed some shelves in some old cupboards for me and I was sorting through my hoard, I found them and decided to use them then and there before they disappeared again. 

I am having loads of fun using machine embroidery in projects also and the dragon cushion is a result. 

A beautiful day today and although the temperature is supposed to hit 35deg C at present it is pleasant under cover.  I can look out our office window and see dozens of little yellow butterflies flitting around amongst the trees, all lush and overgrown after the weeks of rain.  Still lots of work ahead cutting them back and tidying the property.

I am so appreciative of being able to look out on these beautiful surroundings and think how lucky I am.  I hope that you all have a wonderful week and don't forget to count your blessings too.  Sometimes it is hard, I know, but even small blessings bring us moments of happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment