Sunday 22 May 2011

The Start of Something Big

Here goes - my first post on my first blog.  Exciting stuff.  I have been trying to create a website in two different ways.  One, I taught myself HTML language and started that way.  It was going okay and I was nearly ready to expose it to the world wide web but something happened to one of my pages and I could not figure out what I did wrong.  So secondly I bought a website creation software package (not very expensive) and am trying that.  However, it is a tedious process so I thought why not a blog in the meantime.  This way I can let my friends, family and hoards of fan (yeah right) know what my wonderful husband (WH) and I are up to and also showcase some of my work.

My inspiration for setting up a blog is my cousin, Lee-Anne, who has her own blog, Tales from the Garden Gate.  She and her family are living the simpler life amidst the debris of a throw-away society and from this I gain encouragement that we can live more simply and in a serene and loving way.

Much of my inspiration from everyday living comes from women such as Lee-Anne and other family and friends, who have overcome adversity, sadness and grief, illnesses and accidents, to live richly rewarding lives.  My mother was my first inspiration.  I know she is my mother and I should say things like this, but it is true my mother is an inspiration to me.  Despite her funny little ways she has the biggest heart full of love for all her family and friends, she is one of the most generous people I know, she is a fabulous cook and housekeeper and has always been there to support me - even though I live in a different country.  From her I did not inherit her wonderful green thumb (or fingers) or her great cooking skills but I do have a passion for handcraft and Mum is always making something.  My sister also shares these skills plus she is a good gardner too.  Who decides what genes go where in children?

I hope that I can share my thoughts about other inspirational women in the future.

Today I am not very organised.  Sometimes I am very disciplined and have a list of tasks I want to accomplish that day, that week, that month.  I also have many lists of ambitions and dreams.

But I did make a batch of Ginger Biscuits from the great NZ Edmonds Cookbook (I think every NZ woman has a copy).  However, I did not have any crystallised ginger so substituted raisins and powdered ginger.  Tastes okay to me.  I don't bake very often now that the children are all grown and I know if I did bake I would just eat it myself.  But I am involved with the local hospital ladies' auxiliary committee and once a month we sell slices, biscuits and cakes at morning tea to the hospital staff to raise funds.  This will be my first effort for the committee so thought I would get back into practice. 

I have also spent a couple of hours in my "studio" putting some finishing touches to several projects (don't dare ask me how many projects I have started or in the pipeline) and preparing fabric packs for a bag that I have designed.  I am planning a small workshop on Sunday for beginner patchworkers (basic sewing skills needed).   My plan is to design a range of beginner patterns and hopefully compiling into a book or at least selling them through different outlets.

Some of my handcrafted items are for sell at a local coffee shop but mostly I work on private commissions.  I will post some pics of my work over the next few days so you can see what it is that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment